Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Let's talk about 'Fidget Toys'...

These 'fidget devices' (as I like to call them) were a trend last year... well, more specifically, fidget spinners were a trend last year. Every kid had to have one. There are many different types of fidget devices though. Let's go through a few of them.

Fidget spinners are meant for people with disabilities or mental illnesses who fidget. It helps keep them calm as they do what they need to do, like focus on their work in school or at work.


Fidget spinners look a bit like helicopter blades that you can hold in your hands. They come in different styles, most of them have three 'blades' if that is what they are called. I can show you a basic one here:



There is another fidget device called the fidget cube. It's a cube that has something different to fidget with on every side. I can show you what one of them looks like here. Here is a picture that shows what it looks like on every side of the cube:





Now, I personally think this is awesome for people who need it. I'm gonna be a devil's advocate here for a bit, just for a sec... I want to talk about the spinners. I can kinda imagine how some people may think that they can be distracting. The cubes would be much better, in my opinion, for school and the workplace. The problem is, schools are banning them. Well, more specifically, they're banning the spinners. I'm not sure where the schools stand with the fidget cubes though.

There are other fidget devices that are available. Here is a list of 38 types of fidget devices. The article does call them toys, but as I've mentioned before, they are not toys.


I got a fidget cube ring just this past Christmas. Originally, I had said I wasn't planning on getting one, but after my counselor had suggested I get something to fidget with, my mom bought me a fidget cube ring. All the sides looks like it does on a regular fidget cube, except, it has a hole in the middle where you can put your finger through. Here is what it looks like:


It seems to be helping me a little. I'm not sure I will be using it out in public though. I mainly use it when I'm watching TV or when I'm at my computer. 

Anyways, I do hope you are able to get a fidget device if you need one and that you're able to use it whenever and wherever without any judgments.


Sources:





No comments :

Post a Comment