Sunday, February 17, 2019

Emojis for people with Disabilities coming soon!





So, emojis... how many people use emojis on a daily basis? I don't... okay, maybe I do, sometimes. There are some people who do, on a daily basis. There are many emojis to choose from already from a simple smiley face to... well, many things. There are many different faces. There are 'people' emojis and 'hand' emojis. There are even animals, plants, buildings, electronics, etc... There was even a movie with emojis in it!

I remember back then, the emojis would be simple, text-based emojis, like: :) or :( or <3. Now, we have so many colorful emojis to choose from. My favorite has always been the heart.

Last year, Apple made a proposal, a submission, to the Unicode Consortium. The Unicode Consortium is an organization that reviews requests for new emoji characters. In a recent article, it had been stated that they have been approved and we will be getting them in the second half of this year. Yay!

There will be 230 new emojis in this update. The characters include hearing aids, white canes, and guide dogs. This is not mentioned, but I also see a prosthetic arm and leg, wheelchairs (both electric and manual), and a person who looks like they are signing deaf. This is only a very tiny fraction of what we would see in the update.

There are other new images that are gonna be included, meaning not all of them are disability related. One of them is the “period” emoji. The emoji will look like a drop of blood. It is meant to give women a new way to talk about menstruation.

Anyways, I want to know what you think of the new emojis. I personally do not use that many emojis, I only have a select few that I do use. So, I do not have an opinion on this other than the fact that I am happy about this for those who use emojis to express themselves. 

I guess that's it for now.

Until next time, God Bless.
~ Chloe (^_^)


Sources:

(From 2018)



(From 2019)


1 comment :

  1. Interesting, I have used emojis on an occasional basis. Some I find myself using more frequently than others but some I might be slightly uncomfortable even using with close intimate friends. There is nothing wrong with creating new emojis but I feel like discretion should be used in sharing them.

    I know that Android is somewhat limited in a few of their emojis yet Apple keeps adding to their database like you explained in this post.

    I have mixed feeling about it but we shall see and how much more data will it require to be used by it's users. I guess time will tell once it is released and will they create a separate category for these or will they put into already existing categories. I do not know.

    ReplyDelete