Friday, August 30, 2013

Children with Disabilities being abused in schools




Remember when I talked about a young boy named Akian? He was being bullied by his teachers? Do you remember me talking about the abuse of children with disabilities at the Judge Rotenberg Education Center (JRC)?

Here are the links to those to entries:




I feel stupid; I had originally thought these two stories were isolated incidents. Unfortunately, they are not isolated incidents, and with that being said, I feel I need to speak up about this. All of this, every single story I have heard is very disturbing, and I’ve heard so many stories, it’s unbelievable! The amount of abuse I have heard about in the past year is horrifying. What’s scary is that the schools try to cover it up. I will show you a couple of the stories I have found. Please note: The stories may be hard to read.

Here, Jacob Garcia, a 7 year old student with special needs, was abused by the principal and a security guard. He was found on the side of the street where they had found him. They violently assaulted the child and took him back to school where they restrained him using Velcro straps. They claimed that Jacob tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of traffic. All he was trying to do was to go home in the middle of the day, there’s no excuse for assaulting the kid and restraining him. Besides, this begs the question, how did he get out of the school unnoticed anyways? I know a school for kids with disabilities, some do wander, and I know they have locks on the doors so they won’t get out of the school unnoticed, so I don’t see how this could have happened unless they were just not paying attention.


There is a school for children with disabilities, Katy ISD's Exley Elementary School. The children that attend there have severe disabilities and have been emotionally and physically abused. There was one teacher that was terminated. There were a couple of teachers who were charged, but the charges were dropped. There was one child who tried to commit suicide because he was scared. He wasn’t scared of the students; he was scared of the teachers! He was scared of the very people who were supposed to protect him, teach him, and not abuse him!


Here’s something else that’s very troubling about this. Some of the students are non-verbal and are unable to talk about what happened to them. Some of the students are able to talk but are afraid to talk. These teachers are bullies and there should be no tolerance for any kind of bullying. Not only that, these teachers are supposed to be professionals and I have to say, abusing their students are far from professionals. These stories I’ve shown and the stories I’ve talked about before don’t even begin to scratch the surface. Here is an article that lists the schools that have a history of abusing children with disabilities.



I have seen a Facebook page suggesting that we should put video cameras in the classrooms. I actually think it’s a great idea, considering how many schools actually have a history of abuse towards children with disabilities. Here is the Facebook page I am referring to


And there is a page suggesting that we put video cameras on school buses.


Schools are supposed to be a safe place, but unfortunately, there are schools where students are not only bullied by students, but their own teachers as well. Should we have video cameras in classrooms and school buses? I think so. 


Until next time, God Bless. 
- Chloe

No comments :

Post a Comment